Monday, July 22, 2013

Please pray for La




Please pray for a young man named La. He is 15 years of age, and Pastor Proh and Bro. Shull met him while out talking to people about Jesus a few weeks before we came back to Cambodia. La was taken out of school 3 years ago because there was no teacher who would give him the attention that he needs to be able to learn. La cannot read or write, but he listens very well when he comes to church.

As is common in Cambodia, La's family uses very derogatory language towards him because of his deficiencies. "La isn't smart, and he can't talk right," a family member told me while La was standing next to me. (It is normal to meet a Cambodian family and hear things like, "This is my smart child, this is my stupid child, this is my pretty child, and this is my ugly child.")

Last week I started going to La's house to teach him how to read Khmer. It is a struggle because he is so hard on himself. Several times he has struggled to repeat the letter I was teaching him, and he said to me, "I'm just not smart. I can't do it." But La can learn. He is already making progress. The best proof that La can learn is that after studying the Gospel with Pastor Proh this past Sunday morning, he was able to answer all of Pastor Proh's questions that related to the first lesson in the "Do You Know God?" book- basically a very detailed Gospel tract that gives a very clear and thorough presentation of the Gospel. Please pray that La will soon receive Christ as his personal Savior, and that La's mother will continue to allow him to come to church. Please pray that Pastor Proh and I will have the opportunity to give the Gospel to La's mother and grandparents.


No comments:

Post a Comment