Thursday, May 23, 2013

The 138

Last week we finally made it to Bakersfield, California, after a long yet enjoyable drive from Loganville, Georgia. The last 90 minutes of our journey was on a highway that I have driven hundreds of times since 2005- Highway 138, or "the 138" as they say in California. As I drove down the 138 last week my heart was stirred, and I rejoiced in the goodness and mercy of God.



Beginning in the Fall of 2005 I would travel from Lancaster to Bakersfield every weekend to serve in the church where I met Linda, McKee Road Baptist Church. I was a junior in Bible college at the time, and the opportunity to serve as an assistant to Pastor Fred Fies was one of the most valuable and profitable times of my life. I had surrendered to go to Cambodia as a missionary in June of 2005- just a few months before I began serving at McKee Road- and Cambodia was always on my mind during those days (that hasn't changed 8 years later). God allowed me to serve Him in that capacity at McKee Road Baptist Church for nearly two years- so I became quite acquainted with the drive down the 138.

I can vividly remember the dreams and God-inspired ambitions I had as a single Bible college student; and it was on the 138 that I would ruminate on those dreams. I would drive, pray, and imagine my life as a missionary to Cambodia. I would ponder questions like, "Will I ever get married?"; "Will God allow me to have children?"; "Will I ever actually be a missionary to Cambodia?" Those were days of intense introspection. Those were the days in which God was preparing my heart for what I am doing today and what I pray I will be doing thirty years from now if the Lord tarries.

Last week, as I made that last 90 minute stretch from Lancaster to Bakersfield across the 138, I looked to my right and saw my beautiful, precious wife. I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw three precious children that God has given to me to raise for His purposes and for His glory. I rejoiced in the fact that He has allowed our family to live and minister in Cambodia for two years already. My heart was full as I realized that all of those dreams I had as a 23 year old Bible college student have been made a reality by my merciful and loving Heavenly Father. "Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah." Psalm 68:19

2 comments:

  1. What great truth of our wonderful God, even though we have doubt's, God still surprises us with his grace, mercy and infinite love. Sure love you and yours, can't wait until you come to FBCLB and minister to use how God has used you to reach the wonderful people of Cambodia...

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is so good!! We are so happy for you and your family as you see God answer prayers in your life. You surely are blessed to have a precious wife and three lovely children. We will be praying for your family as you serve Him in Cambodia. Looking forward to hearing what God is doing in Cambodia because you are faithful to His calling.

    ReplyDelete