Monday, September 12, 2011

August 2011 Prayer Letter/Update

Dear Pastors and Praying Friends,                                                                                                        

I am thrilled to write this prayer letter/update from our home in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. After spending longer than we had originally planned in Bangkok, it was a sweet feeling to walk through the front door of our house with a new, healthy addition to our family- Emily Faith Phillips. She was born on August 17, weighing just over 7 pounds, and was 20.5 inches long. As you can see in the picture below, Ellie and Judson love her very much. We are so blessed!


Since returning to Cambodia on August 26, we have been able to pick up where we left off before going to Bangkok, and by God’s grace have made some progress forward in several areas. God has allowed me to improve in my language skills, and I feel like I have reached another level in my Khmer speaking. That is certainly encouraging when I look back at where I started; but I still have a long way to go before I am where I really want to be. But, even though I still have my limitations, God enabled me to teach the children’s Bible club lesson to both the village group and the city group this past Saturday and Sunday. I taught on the birth of John the Baptist and Gabriel’s announcement to Mary that she would be God’s vessel to bring the Messiah into the world. It was not the smoothest lesson the kids have ever heard, but God enabled me to get the point across.

Linda stays extremely busy making sure that our house is a home. In addition to the ongoing work around the house, she also takes care of our children, all three of them under the age of 4. Linda is such a blessing to me, and I thank God for her. She has good relationships with all of the ladies in the church- they are such a blessing to her. Pray that she will continue to have the spiritual and physical strength to do everything she needs to do as a missionary’s wife, a mother, and an example to the ladies of Good News Baptist Church.

In just over a week, the Benefields will be taking their ten-month-long furlough, and I will be taking on some extra responsibilities in the ministry here. I will be teaching the men’s Sunday school class and preaching all the Sunday morning services, as well as teaming up with two of the faithful members of the church to teach the children’s services every Saturday and Sunday. God has blessed Good News Baptist Church with a precious group of faithful Christians. Bro. Benefield believes the spirit in the church right now is the best it has been since he planted the church 8 years ago. While I am a bit nervous about all the new responsibilities, I know I’m not alone. I know the Holy Spirit will enable me, my family will encourage me, the church members will co-labor with me, and you will be praying.  As you pray for us, please pray for the Benefields as well, that God would give them safety as they travel, and that God would use them mightily while they are in many churches in the States. Thank you again for praying for us.
Chad, Linda, Elisabeth, Judson, and Emily Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment